Grow Your Business
Economic gardening represents a new way of supporting growth companies that provides local CEOs strategic information customized for his or her company. The goal is top line revenue growth and jobs.
To do this, teams of skilled researchers mine sophisticated databases and use high-end tools related to search engine optimization, geographic information systems and social media marketing. Some examples of their assistance include:
- Identifying and prioritizing sales leads and business opportunities.
- Refining companies’ core strategies and business models.
- Using social media to connect with customers and create buzz about products or services.
How it works: After qualifying companies are selected as participants, a team of research specialists are assigned to work with them. The team’s first step is to interview CEOs and pinpoint their specific growth issues. This interview process is important because often a company’s real obstacle to growth may be masked by another issue. The research team then devotes a certain number of hours to each company over the course of a few weeks to gather and deliver action-oriented information.
What you get: In contrast to other types of business assistance, Economic Gardening has a laser-like focus on strategic issues, which means addressing challenges — and identifying opportunities for your company. NCEG’s National Strategic Research Team (NSRT) provides analysis and information on five key areas: your core strategy, market dynamics, qualified sales leads, innovation and temperament.
Within this framework, the NSRT uses sophisticated, corporate-level tools such as:
- Commercial databases — This includes subscription-only data sets that are mined to find new markets, competitor intelligence, new products and industry trends, along with industry and government regulations. In addition, the NSRT does "deep Web" searches by tapping information sources that are buried in the Internet beyond the first few pages of search-engine results.
- Geographic information systems (GIS) — GIS specialists use computerized data mapping to spot densities of current customers and competitors, identify potential new clients and geographic markets, and produce qualified sales leads.
- Search engine optimization (SEO) and Web marketing — The NSRT first analyzes your website, looking for any problem areas that might be deterring traffic. Then the researchers identify key words and content to raise your visibility in search-engine rankings. We also track social interactions on other websites, blogs and online communities to see who’s talking about your products and services, determine key influencers in your market and help you connect better with customers. In addition, we’ve developed listening posts to scan news and blog sites and provide high-quality information on topics you select (think Google alerts on steroids).
Business Counseling Provided
For more information on the BCEDC Economic Gardening Program or to apply, contact Dave Armstrong at 715-637-6871 or at email@example.com
The BCEDC is a link to county, city, state, and federal economic development programs that address the issues of retaining jobs and expanding the job market throughout the county. We provide such technical assistance in the retention and expansion activities of the county’s existing businesses, through training and educational seminars, business retention and expansion surveys, labor market studies and one-on-one personal/confidential counseling and mentoring with businesses.
So whether you are a manufacturer, retailer, or office-based business or service, Barron County wants to help you grow a successful business. We are committed to building a solid infrastructure and developing economic development in our community.
Established Businesses – We Can Help!
- Manage your business financial life
- Evaluate your business operating efficiency
- Work through problems or challenges
Barron County Economic Development Corporation
330 East LaSalle Avenue
Government Center, Room 2311
P.O. Box 71
Barron, WI 54812
Toll Free: 1-800-529-4148